Filters play very vital role in keeping aquariums clean and safe for your fish tank inhabitants to live comfortably, safely and happily. Hence, it is crucial to purchase the best pool filter sand for aquarium to help you ensure a pollutant-free and safe haven for your pet fish and other invertebrates that you wish to keep in it. It cannot be denied that the significance of pool filters cannot be overestimated.
Basically, maintaining an aquarium and having clear and safe fish tank water are foolproof means to keep your pet fish and aquatic plants safe and healthy. And, the only way to do that is to make certain that you invest in a top quality pool filter that would work well for your aquarium.
Indeed, as much as there are a plenty of pool filters readily available these days, the truth is there aren’t numerous creditable details to greatly assist you in the decision-making process. Thus, if it is your will to ensure getting the most suitable option for your fish tank, you may check out the following product reviews and closely examine the most appropriate pool filter sand that you think and feel will work best for the fish tank you are currently keeping.
There are also some valuable details that you certainly need to delve into with regards to buying pool filter sands for aquariums, some information on how to properly set up, clean and maintain the pol filter sand and some other must-consider factors and features when investing in one.
- Best Pool Filter Sand for Aquarium Reivews of 2020
- What to Look for When Buying Pool Filter Sand for Aquarium
- Other Important Factors to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Pool Filter Sand for Aquarium Reivews of 2020
1. FairmountSantrol AquaQuartz-50 Pool Filter
Is pool filter sand safe for aquariums? Perhaps, this is one of the most common questions we often ask ourselves when we think of investing in pool filter sand for our fish tank. Luckily, with a little research with regards to the most reliable brands, you can get the one that would best match your current needs.
This pool filter sand product is odorless and inert. It is the best option if you want to ensure the health and safety of your most treasured pet fish. It does not contain any chemical formulation and it is capable of backwashing without much difficulty and in an even approach. This can be used for commercial or home use. It won’t stain, it does not require high maintenance and you can purchase it at a reasonable price tag.
In addition, if you opt for pool filter sand that is ecologically friendly and is not susceptible to solidifying, then this is your most outstanding bet. This comes with great contrast against driftwood and plants and its natural color is simply adorable. It is soft and lightweight although this especially calls for a thorough rinse that could be time-consuming and tedious. This is ideal for live plants and does a very good job of filtering out various kinds of dirt and can help ward off algae accumulation in the aquarium.
Nevertheless, this pool filter sand require at least five by up to six times thorough rinsing in order to completely get rid of the dirt. So, it could probably take half an hour to manage the rinsing part. And, this might not do well with gravel vacuum since it is quite lightweight. These are a couple of the weak points that you need to bear in mind if you plan to get this product for your aquarium.
2. hth Pool Sand Pool Filter Sand
If you are looking for affordable, easy to use and efficient pool sand for aquarium, then you can give this product a try. It does not foam up, does not float and does not stick to bubbles in the water column. This is also user-friendly as you can easily and smoothly lay it in the tank.
It is delighting to know that it is simple to pour since it is crafted with built-in spout. This pool filter sand is capable of filtering very fast and is a great choice to line a 30-gallon tank with two-inch of stand. It is superb at keeping the tank water crystal clear. You can pour it easily without clogging unlike other similar options out there.
More than that, this pool filter sand has gone through thorough rinsing and special grading process in order to make it capable of offering the most unadulterated and most closely-sized pfs sand available. It is highly recommended to adhere to the manufacturer’s recommendation in terms of proper application and appropriate backwashing procedures.
However, there are a few minor gripes that need to be taken into consideration if you get this pool filter sand and these include the fact that it can be tedious to clean and has the potentiality to recirculate the sand back into the tank.
The size of the sand grains is just suitable for aquariums making it highly recommendable for those searching for less pricey alternative to aquarium sand so long as it is okay with you to clean the sand for quite a while. It works as it should in a sand pump.
3. Carib Sea Super Naturals Crystal River Sand for Aquarium
Are you planning to shop for the most suitable pool filter sand for aquarium substrate? Then, you can check out how this product can do wonders for you. This comes with luring texture and luminescence and it is very popular for its natural and ravishing look.
This is a great value for the money because it is completely natural so it won’t in any way throw off the pH levels of your tank. The sand won’t make the tank water looking dusky; in point of fact, it is designed to help sustain crystal clear water inside the aquarium. This is also dependable when it comes to combating dead spots underneath aquarium adornments.
Essentially, when it comes to pool filter sand for freshwater aquarium, this product has been designed to help impede the spike of carbonate hardness. The distinctively sized grains fight off buildup of detritus and food waste in the substrate which is why maintaining the aquarium is less stressful to handle.
All the same, this pool filter sand is only available in one natural color and it is slightly sharp. This means that you need to keep an eye on your pet fish to avoid some unfortunate incidents. These are just a few of the glitches that you need to be aware of prior to making the final purchase decision.
4. Quikrete Pool Filter Sand
Shopping for premium quality pool filter sand in aquarium nowadays is made easier and it is all thanks to the advent of internet. This product can be found in various online shopping sites like Amazon.
For the money, this is a reasonable option that won’t disappoint you. It is safe to use and works wonderfully to help keep the aquarium free of any dirt particles. This is one of the top-rated picks as it is highly acclaimed for being superiorly graded neat silica sand. Aside from this, it is also perfect for swimming pool filtration systems.
In substance, this could help create a wonderful hub for your pet fish and other invertebrates that you would like to add in your fish tank. The sand looks natural and won’t pose any hazard to your aquarium inhabitants. And, most importantly, since it is free of any toxic chemical formulation, your pet fish will absolutely be in good hands. This is easy to use and maintain so even if it is your first time to keep an aquarium, this won’t be a hassle for you to manage.
Be that as it may, a couple of the major gripes that need to be taken account if you decide to purchase this pfs are its strict compliance to its manual instructions, otherwise it won’t operate as expected and it appears that it is not that dependable when it comes to filtering water to any range required to sustain crystal clear water in the tank.
5. CARBO Pool Filter #20 Silica Sand Media
If you’re going to compare pool sand vs. play sand, the former is a lot easier to maintain and you can get them for a decent price. Just like this pfs from Carbo, you can count on it if it is your top priority to sustain top quality water for your pet fish and live plants.
This pfs is a smart investment that every pool and aquarium owners will find practical and beneficial. It only contains 100% chemical-free sand that is why you can rest assure that your pet fish and live plants won’t be harmed. Sustaining top quality water clarity no longer needs to be cumbersome for you to manage as this can efficiently filter out sunscreen oils, leaves, tiny insects, dust, algae buildup, hair and other sorts of pollutants.
What is more, it does not smell and is certainly a child’s play to use even for those who are still beginners in fish keeping. Many consumers find it pricey but if you’re going to witness for yourself how stellar it is in eliminating bacteria, you won’t mind paying for more.
For all that, two of the weak points that come with this pool filter sand include its overpriced selling cost that could create a hole in your pocket and this is not designed for Intex filters. Be sure to keep these factors in mind before getting one for you.
While it is true that it is very costly; if you’re going to ponder on the unique features and benefits you can get from it, it is all worth it in the end. This is high efficiency filter sand that won’t let you down. Hence, even if you spend more on it, you surely won’t have regrets in the future.
What to Look for When Buying Pool Filter Sand for Aquarium
The quality of your pool filter sand affects the quality of your fish tank’s water. In reality, picking the most suitable pool filter for your aquarium could sometimes be exhausting. Not to mention, you may encounter various types, specifications, features, sizes, price range and the like.
To make the selection process less burdensome for you, consider checking out these buying guides:
- How much is it? Whether you are investing in it for commercial or home use, of course, the first thing you’ll need to decide on is the price you will be willing to spend for it. Luckily, pool filter sand for aquariums are affordable.
- How about the position of your aquarium? Some pool filter sand products are particularly made for above ground while others are crafted for underground ones. If your aquarium is above ground, opt for the ones that are made to be corrosion-free and are durable.
- What about the kind of pool filter sand? To learn more about the right type of pool filter sand perfectly suited for you; compare the two categories namely side-mount and top-mount.
- Is your choice compatible with your aquarium? To pick the most appropriate pool filter sand for your fish tank, it is imperative to figure out the product’s compatibility. You can do so by means of computing the cubic size, gallons needed per hour and how long you prefer to run the pool filter.
Please be guided that when investing in pool filter sand, it is highly advised to search for a product that is capable of supplying higher than the requirements of a pool or your aquarium.
- What about the capacity of the filter? The ability to clean up your pool or aquarium swift enough is reliant on the capacity of the filter. Important components like the filter and pump have great impact on the capacity of the filter. Take note that this is gauged by gallons per hour or gallons per minute.
- What about safety and maintenance? Prior to deciding which one to purchase, it is a must to check out the safety features first. Features such as ground fault circuit interrupter would aid ward off shocks. It is highly suggested to pay attention for safety certifications like CSA and UL.
As for the maintenance, a pool filter that comes with fewer components would be more plain sailing to maintain. It is critical to ensure that the product includes easy-to-understand manual instructions that tackle varied maintenance techniques.
Other Important Factors to Consider
What is pool filter sand? How does it work?
Pool filter sand for aquariums are generally superb quality filter systems. As compared to other forms of filtration systems, this form of filter is capable of catching both small and large dirt particles. Fundamentally, the large particles consist of particulates like leaves, insects or hair. It is essential to note that most filters also have the capability to catch larger particulates more efficiently.
The distinction is on the smaller dirt particles which are deemed as the real aquarium contaminants. Bear in mind that this category comes with phosphates as well as algae. And, a sand filter is the sole means to get rid of the very tiny pollutants from the aquarium that could not be seen by the naked eye alone.
Pool sand filters work by extracting dirt particles from the tank water using sand in order to amass the polluters. And, at the time these particulates build up, the filtration system would necessitate backwashing. Typically, this is executed by running the water in backtrack direction through the filter.
Furthermore, this form of filter system could filter dirt particles between twenty by up to forty microns. It is a piece of cake to handle and maintain since it merely requires being backwashed once every several weeks.
Please be guided that the sand would require being changed once every three by up to four years only. Even so, these are quite bulky.
Take note that pool filter sand for aquarium won’t operate properly without a pump. Both system components should work together to ensure that your fish tank water becomes clean, safe and clear once again.
What are the different types of pool filter sand?
Generally speaking, pool filters that make use of sand filtration are less overpriced and are a lot easier to take care of, use and maintain. In fact, these are ideal choice for those who are new in pool or fish keeping hobby.
Sand pool filters are available in two forms and these comprise of:
- Side-mount. In this type of pool filter sand, the valve is placed on the side of the sand pool filter wherein there is no need to detach the pipes prior to the cleaning process.
- Top-mount. Here, the valve is placed above the device. These are less pricey as compared to side-mount types of pool filter sand. All the same, maintenance is slightly more laborious mainly because there is a need to detach the pipes first.
Why do you need pool filter sand? (Benefits)
Pool filter sand for aquariums are typically the most reasonably priced and compact alternative to filter swimming pools or aquariums. In general, the sand media must be replaced roughly every 5 by up to 8 years, and this is usually based on the manner of how it is used.
The reasons why opting for pool filter sand to efficiently filter the various sorts of pollutants inside an aquarium are as follows:
- Pool filter sand for aquariums are comparably less expensive so there is no need to break the bank when investing in them. Pool filter sand for aquariums are less costly. As a matter of fact, one great approach to set aside some money is through investing in a topnotch sand filter.
Their affordable price tags are not the only reasons why they are smart investments; the best of all is that these are built to be quite durable in that they can last for many years of usage. Thus, this implies that it could save you in long-term maintenance as well as replacement expenditures. As you can see, this is a good alternative when it is your wish to keep the aquarium clean and clear but do not wish to spend more.
- They do not require high maintenance. It is surely nice to know that pool filter sand for aquariums are not that complicated to manage as there is no need to execute all the required extreme maintenance. This means that looking after it won’t consume much of your time and energy. It only necessitates simple process that can be done in a snap. You can perform this when the pressure is at a specific level, and fortunately the filter will indicate this to you.
Likewise, you may consider re-balancing the water when you backwash the filter- this is actually what it is all that is specifically required with the sand filter.
- These are capable of getting rid of 20 by up to 40 micron-sized particulates and other pollutants.
- Backwashing can be done in a snap. Unlike other filtration system, this is not demanding when operating it.
- They are not intricate to operate and are known to be user-friendly. Since these are user-friendly, they are ideal for those who are still novice to owning a pool or aquarium and in keeping it clean. They are not utilized much except when extracting polluters by means of backwashing.
And, when it is all set for backwashing, you will only need to rotate the valve from the filter position to the backwash position- take note that this must be precisely marked. Afterward, it is a must to use the rinse setting after the backwash method is completed. Other settings include waster or recirculates; however, these are not utilized frequently.
- Sand media is highly recognized for being adept at holding up much longer as compared to filter cartridges.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most trusted pool filter sand brands for aquariums?
If it is your wish to surely keep a clear, clean and safe aquarium for your most precious pet fish, then it is a must to ensure that you only entrust the health and safety of your aquarium dwellers to trusted brands that have been acclaimed as trustworthy and reliable manufacturers in the field of filtration system.
As you might already know, credible manufacturers can guarantee that you could end up with smart and safe investments. Of course, the life of your pet fish should be in good hands. And, when it comes to pool filter sand for aquariums that could work best in sustaining clean and contaminant-free fish tank water, the following reputable brands can be your best and safest choices:
- Fairmount Santrol
- Carib Sea
How to set up?
Here are some of the important steps when setting up pool filter sand:
- The pool filter sand must be positioned in a manner that it could be able to make instant contact with the multiport valve instantly. The two-inch fitting should be set up on the input component of the pump as well as on the multiport valve. At the time these are accordingly fitted, considering using seal tape on the cords and carefully enclose the seal tape a number of times.
After that, utilize a latch to ensure that all the fittings are installed tightly. Otherwise, the sand filter won’t work accordingly.
- As for the multiport valve, this commonly comes with some indications on it and this indicates what route the water flows through it. By the same token, it is important to precisely inspect these routes and then be sure to set up a two-inch tube on the water absorption of the multiport.
Hook up this tube with the suction pump accordingly, in several instances; the sand filter differs in specifications. Hence, it is critical for you to go through the routes. At times, there would be a need to set up the multiport valve first on the refiner and afterward on the pump.
- When setting up the tube lines, the first thing for you to do is to lift the above section and then you should also lift the diffuser afterward. Set up the tube line from the pool return line to the sand refiner. Please note that the backwash lines should be set up properly as these are quite essential for the correct operation of the sand refiner.
- A huge and durable plastic bag must be positioned on the middle section of the open tube. At the period it is already positioned, gradually add sand and see to it that it is falling without any issue and make certain that there is no filthy particle tangled with the sand.
- When completing the setting up process, when you already see that the sand is perfectly positioned, set up the new diffuser and do not forget to place it on the plastic top on the sand refiner. When the all the attachments are perfectly fixed or tightened, you must inspect this setting.
When inspecting it, place the multiport valve in the backwash setting. This would aid in cleaning all the edges and if there is any filthy particle in the edges as well as in the sand refiner- it would not get contact with the aquarium. After all these are completed, consider examining all the other forms of multiport valve and check if it is operating appropriately.
How to care & clean?
Cleaning a pool filter sand can be slightly more involved; regardless, do not allow cleaning a sand filter constrain you to the point where you don’t execute it as frequent as you should. It would merely make the task more intricate when you get around to it.
When cleaning, there are two available alternatives here. You could backwash the sand filter, which you would require doing whenever it reaches 10 psi over the standard operating level. It might also be high time to tidy the filter if you begin to observe dusky aquarium water.
It is necessary to chemically clean the sand filter at least once annually. To execute this, you will need to use a sand filter cleaner as well as a backwash hose, and make sure to strictly adhere to the manufacturer’s manual.
Now that you already have the supplies needed to start the cleaning process, the following procedure must be followed accordingly:
- Backwash the sand refiner for a span of three minutes by up to five minutes to get rid of dirt particles.
- Shut down the pump and reverse the valve to filter setting.
- Lift the pump’s strainer hood.
- Carefully pour the sand refiner cleaner into the strained basket and see to it to change the lid.
- Turn on the pump for roughly 15 seconds- this must be just long enough to transport the cleaner from the pump to the sand refiner.
- Turn off the pump and just let it off overnight or for approximately eight hours.
- Backwash the sand refiner for approximately three by up to five minutes once again in order to thoroughly get rid of the dirt particles displaced by the filter cleaner.
- After that, you may turn on the filtration system.
As you can see, pool filter sand for aquarium generally calls for low maintenance. All you have to do is to thoroughly clean the sand refiner on a weekly mode through performing a backwash for approximately five minutes. After that, it is necessary to set the filter to “rinse” mode in order to instantly get rid of any sort of dirt particles.
After five years, it is a must to replace the sand in the filter. The reason behind this is because the top layer of the sand is tougher to infiltrate due to the amassed matter. Essentially, the sand filter could hence become clogged, and this heightens the pressure within the filter and minimizes the rate of flow of the filter system.
If the sand is not replaced, this might lead to more serious or complete damage in the filtration system.
What is the warranty?
As for the warranty of the product, you may learn more about it by checking the product description or label. There are different warranties such as limited or lifetime warranty, defective product replacement and some even offer money back guarantee offer.
On the other hand, if the warranty information is not detailed in the product description or product label, you may get in touch with the manufacturer through email, chat, or phone and ask for some information with regards to the warranty of the product of your choice. Luckily, nearly all the products reviewed in this article are all supported by warranty offers.
Where to buy?
You can look for pool filter sand for aquarium in local aquarium stores near your area. However, only a few brick and mortar pet or fish store retailers can offer you with a number of options to check out.
The delighting news is that, with the emergence of the internet, you can take pleasure in a convenient shopping experience where you can pick from unlimited pool filter sand for aquarium manufacturers or brands. Isn’t it nice to know that you can get the most suitable option right at your fingertips without the need to leave the comfort of your own home? You can start your search at Amazon.
Fortunately, pool filter sand for aquariums are not that expensive. Shopping online can offer you lots of advantages and conveniences and all you need to do is to process the online transaction and just wait for your package to arrive right at your doorsteps.
What makes pool filter sand the best choice for aquarium hobbyists?
Many swimming pool owners and aquarium keepers prefer pool filter sand because such products are generally budget-friendly, looks great and they are not intricate to use and maintain. As previously mentioned, these are also very durable that they could last for many years of usage provided that you stringently adhere to the proper care and maintenance procedure recommended by the manufacturer.
In like manner, they are deemed as one of the most prominent options for tropical fish enthusiasts since you can get them starting from ten dollars for fifty pounds. They are built with exquisite overall construction; they are lightweight making it easy for the water to filter through the sand, and they come with fascinating rounded grain size and flakes of black.
Bear in mind that it is imperative for you to stir the sand on a weekly basis instead of executing a full tank clean. And, most of all, these are safe to utilize for your fish tank. All you need to do is to adhere to the critical process directed by the manufacturer prior to adding sand to any aquarium.
Sand Pool Filter Part
This must be kept like this all the time. The only exception is when you need to backwash, rinse or waste.
This setting must be employed for only 15 seconds after you backwash in order to thoroughly wash off the sand filter tank.
This pertains to a filter bypass setting. Consider using this if your filter is damaged or suffering from leak issues; the most important thing is that you are circulating the water.
This setting must be carried out to reverse the flow in the filter and to transmit the water out of the waste line. See to it that the valves are open and the hose for backwash is appropriately rolled out.
This is meant to close off the flow from the aquarium. Typically, this is intended to work on the device or inhibit the backflow of water out of the filter. Keep in mind that it is not highly suggested to operate the pump with valve in the closed position, and never utilize it as a winterizing setting, consider popping up the handle between two positions for winter.
- Waste or Drain
This is another form of filter bypass setting; even so, the only difference is that this setting transmits the water out of the waste hose or pipe rather than turning it back to the aquarium. Likewise, this setting is exploited to decrease the aquarium water level or to vacuum to waste- this is quite efficient when vacuuming heavy amounts of filthy dirt particles or when dealing with algae accumulation.
Let us delve into how and when to properly backwash a sand filter…
It is high time to backwash the sand filter again when the pressure gauge is reading 8 by up to 10 pounds above the clean, beginning pressure (this after backwashing). Please take note that this procedure consists of turning a valve in order for the water to flow through the filter in backward mode, the objective here is to clear away the filthy particles- this is why it was termed as backwashing.
Pool and aquarium water naturally flow top to bottom in a sand filter. Then, the water enters above the tank and pushes down through the sand bed into the sideways at the underneath section of the tank. At the period of backwashing, the water flows in reverse direction which is from underneath to the above direction, out of the sideways and up through the sand, this is to clear out the trapped debris from the sand bed, and then transmit it out the waste line.
It is worth noting that sand filters could have either multiport valve or slide valve. The slide valves come with two positions only, backwash or filter; and come with a plunger that needs to be pushed down or pulled up in order to alter positions. On the other hand, the multiport valve comes with multiple ports on the valve, commonly it comes with a total of six positions which is what it was called multiport.
Fundamentally, it is necessary to shut the filter pump down prior to turning the filter valve or it could break the internal filter components or gasket. This could form abrupt dead-head or water harm effect, which could damage the pipe fittings or valves, filter tanks, and this may potentially injure people who are close by.
Undoubtedly, cleaning is a very essential procedure in fish tank management. And, it is all thanks to advanced technology; effective, safe and fast cleaning devices are readily available at present, and many of them come in the form of the best pool filter sand for aquariums and these are meant to make the cleaning process a less struggle one. The good news is that there are so many of them sold on the market nowadays and you can pick from countless of different brands. This makes decision making process a bit complex though.
While it could be advantageous to be offered with lots of options to select from, it is inevitable for you to get perplexed when making your purchase, particularly if it is your first time to do so or you are not that expert in that field. To help you save more of your valued time and energy, you can rely on the product reviews and shopping guides tackled in this article.
By merely contemplating on the difference in the filtering system, you can lessen the burden of picking the right product for your needs. Take in mind that pool filter sands act as the kidney of your aquarium, so choosing the most reliable one can help you lengthen the lifespan of your fish tank occupants and can maintain the cleanliness and beauty of your aquarium.
Hopefully the product reviews and buying guides discussed in this post can help you pick the ideal sand filter for your aquarium in order to allow your pet fish to swim in clean, fresh and safe water to keep them fit and healthy.